Not Your Mother’s Meatloaf
I absolutely hated meatloaf growing up. Hated it. So when we decided to try this recipe the other day I was a little apprehensive. All I can say is “Wow.” This is not my mother’s meatloaf.
*We substituted turkey for beef.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground turkey (Butterball 93% fat free is good)
- 1 slice bread (broken or chopped finely)
- 1 egg
- 1 small sweet onion, finely chopped & sauteed with 1 teaspoon of minced garlic & tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of Kansas City Gates Sweet & Mild BBQ sauce
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, packed firm
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- Meatloaf: Combine meat loaf ingredients and place into a loaf baking dish.
- Smooth out top.
- Sauce: Combine sauce ingredients and pour on top and sides of meatloaf.
- Bake at 350°F about 1 hour 20 minutes or until done.
***The sauce is really, really good. A tangy barbeque sauce, really. A second batch of sauce served hot is good to serve with the meatloaf.